Seeking Readers for 2024 Fellowship Applications; The U.S. Department of State and IREX are seeking academic, professional, and regional experts to read and score applications for the 2024 Mandela Washington Fellowship for Young African Leaders.
Responsibilities and Reading Period:
Readers will be responsible for evaluating program applications based on set guidelines and a scoring rubric. This is a great volunteer professional development and résumé -building opportunity for professionals or degree-seeking individuals.
The reading period will begin on September 14, 2023, and will comprise up to three separate reading phases, each lasting approximately two weeks, from mid-September through early November. Selected readers will be assigned to one of the reading phases to review approximately 40 applications. Each application takes about 10-15 minutes to read and score; the total time commitment is estimated at 10 hours.
- Ideal readers are academics and/or professionals with expertise in one or more of the Fellowship’s thematic areas (business, civic engagement, or public management), or who have experience working in Africa or on sub-Saharan African issues.
- U.S. Government employees and Fellowship Alumni are eligible.
- Applicants for the 2024 Fellowship are not eligible to be readers.
Benefits: The Fellowship is an unparalleled opportunity to…
- Participate in a six-week Leadership Institute at a U.S. college or university to share your experiences with and learn from U.S. citizens and other Fellows.
- Explore industries beyond your daily work and expand your expertise.
- Participate in a Summit with young African leaders.
- Meet with U.S. Government, civic, and business leaders.
- Strengthen your work through new connections, skills, and ideas.
- Join a continental and global Alumni Network to help you seek innovative solutions to common challenges.