This fellowship provides cash awards to assist independent journalists with investigative projects. Created in 2008, the fellowships are awarded for project proposals which demonstrate impact, breadth and significance,
Application Deadline: August 28, 2023
Value of Award:
- 1st place – $2,500 and a one-year IRE membership
- 2nd place – $1,500 and a one-year IRE membership
- 3rd place – $1,000 and a one-year IRE membership
Eligibility: Journalists who make their living primarily as freelancers and need assistance in conducting investigative projects. Freelance journalists who will publish the work primarily in the U.S. and in outlets where the primary audience will be at least a part of the American public.
- Three clips showcasing investigative work
- Explain your freelance status in as much detail as necessary for the selection committee to determine your eligibility
- Describe your project.
- How do you plan to spend the money if you receive one of the IRE freelance fellowships?
- If your project requires additional funding, how do you plan to raise the rest of the funding necessary to complete your project?
- Where do you hope to publish or air the project?
- Have you discussed publication with any specific outlets? If so, please summarize the conversations.
- If you have already signed a contract with a publisher or broadcast outlet, please provide specifics.
- If you receive one of the fellowships, when do you expect to deliver the project to a potential publisher or broadcast outlet?
Leave a Reply