Twitter ban: U.S. State Department sends fresh message to Buhari

<!– U.S. State Department speaks on Twitter ban –>

U.S. State Department speaks on Twitter ban

The U.S. State Department on Thursday condemned the Buhari government for suspending Twitter and targeting individuals who use the social media site, including Nigerian broadcasters, and called for a reversal of the decision.
“Unduly restricting the ability of Nigerians to report, gather, and disseminate opinions and information has no place in a democracy,” spokesman Ned Price said in a statement.
“Freedom of expression and access to information both online and offline are foundational to prosperous and secure democratic societies,” he added.
Price noted that the Nigeria’s National Broadcasting Commission had ordered all television and radio broadcasters to stop using Twitter, also calling it a concern.
Nigerian indefinitely suspended Twitter last week after the social media giant removed a post from President Muhammadu Buhari that threatened to punish regional secessionists – an announcement the government posted on Twitter.
Telecommunications firms there then blocked access to the platform, and on Wednesday the Nigerian government said social media firms must obtain a license to operate in the country.
Twitter Inc has said it will work to restore access.
The company, along with human rights groups such as Amnesty International, also called the suspension deeply concerning
Related

The post Twitter ban: U.S. State Department sends fresh message to Buhari appeared first on OnlineNigeria.com.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply